Sunday, April 6, 2008

My experience at the 43rd District caucus

I went to the District caucus in Wallingford as an alternate delegate for Hillary Clinton. In my precinct level in Capitol Hill Obama was awarded 4 delegates, 4 alternates and Hillary was awarded 2 delegates, 2 alternates. I didn't know what to expect at the district convention on Saturday. When I first arrived at the High School in Wallingford I was surrounded by a lot of Obama supporters. I was very nervous knowing that if the Hillary delegates didn't show up nor their alternates that Hillary would lose votes. After signing into my precinct and waiting in the alternate section to see if I was needed I started to see a lot of Hillary supporters surrounding me. There was a different feeling that I had at the district convention then I had at my local caucus last month. I was the lone voice for Hillary at my precinct caucus. She had supporters in the room but no one wanted to talk on her behalf so I stood up and talked everytime after an Obama supporter did to get her message across. In the convention yesterday I was seeing as much determination that Hillary has been showing throughout her entire campaign in that room. There were so many alternates that showed up for Hillary hoping that they could be involved in the process. They wanted to help Hillary out because they believe in her so much and know that she is the leader that is needed to turn this country around. The chair announced that 35 Hillary delegates didn't show up and over 100 Obama delegates didn't show up. They were calling name after name and everytime I looked to see who was walking down the bleacher stairs the people I was seeing were wearing Hillary stickers, buttons, shirts. Only a handful of names were left to be called and I thought well I am glad that my delegates came out today for her and then of all of a sudden my name was called. I was able to leave the alternate room and join the delegate room. The people next to me in the alternate room were upset that they couldn't participate because they know this country needs someone like Hillary to solve our problems. I have never seen so many people so committed to a candidate and bringing so much passion with them. I had a tough time picking 7 women and 7 men to move on to the next level to represent all of us. The reason I had such a hard time was because no one was backing down in their belief about Hillary (which was one of the things I was looking for since delegates can change their votes at the next levels). Every single one of them was going to fight for Hillary like she has been fighting for us. It makes me feel confidant that the Hillary supporters that were picked to be delegates from the precinct cacuses were very serious about their responsiblity and they have their eye on the prize. After seeing the showing for the Obama supporters I don't know the same can be said about them. At my precinct caucus they had around 20 people trying to get the spot for 4 delegates and 4 alternates. Yet those people that fought so hard to go to the next level didn't even show up. There are many reasons why these delegates didn't show up and it's only a guess as to the reason why they didn't. After leaving that event yesterday I walked away feeling like I wasn't one of the few people in Seattle wanting and working to get Hillary elected but I felt like I had an entire community standing next to me to get Hillary elected to not only be our 44th President but to be our first female President. If all of her supporters work together we can help her prove the pundits wrong, and the elders in the party who told her to drop out and show America that anything is possible. I urge everyone to go to http://www.hillaryclinton.com/ and place phone calls to PA and to the later contests. If everyone of Hillarys supporters makes 1-2 calls we can make a great impact in her campaign and show them that just because an opponent outspends you 2:1 and at times 5:1 that we can still win. Let's send the Clintons back to the White House because we know they can clean another Bushs mess.

1 comment:

A said...

Wow we are both in the 43rd District, that's awesome.