Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Proposition 8: "It Is Written, but I Say unto You."

John Seery from the HuffingtonPost wrote up a great bit about Prop 8

My wife and I have been together for almost 25 years. We have two beautiful children. For the life of me, I simply cannot see any way that same-sex marriage threatens my marriage, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not in the least. I just don't get the claim about how the ban is necessary to "protect marriage."

The argument about procreation doesn't make any sense. If that were the crux of the matter, then marriage would be proscribed or discouraged for older hetero couples, or infertile couples. Such childless marriages are no less sacred or celebrated. And it's not as if the presence of same-sex married couples is going to inhibit the procreative tendencies of hetero couples. Why presume that these sexualities are competing or in active conflict with one another, as a zero-sum trade-off? Is the sheer idea of same-sex coupledom somehow a romantic turn-off for certain heteros? Are the "Yes on Prop. 8" folks implying that a sizeable number of otherwise hetero individuals will convert to homosexuality if same-sex marriage is permitted, and that's why the breeding foundations of society are allegedly imperiled today? Will hetero couples have less sex because they'll get depressed that same-sex couples will now be sharing the institution of marriage? The procreative argument just doesn't fly. Maybe someone out there can explain it to me. (Read More)

Vote NO on Prop 8

--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"To protect marriage" huh?

Like, with a 50%+ divorce rate us straights are doing such a good job of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm mad that Propositon 8 was passed in California, and even more mad that African-Americans were some of the people voting for it...I'm so disappointed in our country, every time we take one step forward, we take another ten steps back!